Electrical Safety [safety first]

Our goal is to provide SAFE electrical service. The health and safety of customers and employees is our highest priority. We also believe strongly that safety is everyone's responsibility. LUS employees will not perform any work in areas considered to be unsafe. They will also not install or connect any electrical services that are, in the opinion of our employees, unsafe or not in compliance with utility requirements, governing codes and regulations. We put safety first.

Downed or Low Power Lines
Downed power linesAt LUS we believe in Safety First. The safety of our customers and the public is important to us. We rely on you to tell us about unsafe conditions such as downed power lines. Power lines can be brought down by equipment failures, lightning storms, high winds, fallen trees, or by damage such as vehicle accidents. NEVER touch, move, or go near any kind of downed or low hanging line-even if it looks harmless.

If you see a downed or low wire call LUS immediately at 762-7161. Stay away from downed or low wires and use extreme caution since there is no way to know if a wire is an energized electric line or something else like a telephone or cable television line. You don't have to touch a downed power line to be seriously injured. You can be shocked just by going too close to a downed line because the earth in the area around the fallen line becomes energized. Always warn others to STAY AWAY from downed lines.


Lines on Vehicles
Vehicle with lines on itShould a fallen line come into contact with a vehicle, the vehicle itself may become energized. In many cases the safest thing to do is stay in the vehicle until help arrives. Keep others away from the vehicle. Any person attempting to touch or leave the vehicle could be electrocuted. If possible, stay in the vehicle until LUS has made the line safe. If it is not safe to remain in the vehicle because of fire or other danger, do not step away from the vehicle. Jump as far away as possible, keeping both feet together. NEVER touch the vehicle and the ground at the same time. Hop or shuffle your feet in very small steps to move to safety. Remember, Be Safe!

If you are ever unsure about a line call LUS at 762-7161


SafeElectricity.org
Understanding how electricity works can be challenging, but understanding how to stay safe around this powerful energy just became easier with the launch of the re-designed Safe Electricity website at http://www.SafeElectricity.org

Live Line Safety Trailer
LUS would be glad to preform a live line demonstration for students or for other groups wanting a better understanding of high voltage electricity. Our Safety Team will bring the LUS safety trailer to you for no cost. This is a service we provide to our community to make you more aware of the dangers of electricity.

Natural Gas Safety[safety first!]

Our goal is to provide SAFE natural gas. Natural gas makes our lives more comfortable and efficient, and is environmentally friendly. We use natural gas to heat our homes, produce hot water, cook our meals and dry our clothes. LUS maintains 320 miles of distribution lines and serves 6,405 customers in Lawrence County.

General Safety

Maintain gas lines inside the house to prevent leaks. Do not hang things from exposed piping or use it as a support for something else. All piping after the meter is the responsibility of the property owner. LUS will periodically survey all piping leading up to your gas meter for leaks.

Every family member should know how to find and turn off the natural gas shut-off valve at the meter. The valve should be closed only in the event of a natural gas emergency in your home or if advised to do so by LUS. If you turn off the shut-off valve, do not turn it on again. Call LUS at 762-7161 and let us safely re-establish your gas service for you at no charge.


Detecting a Leak

The following signs may help you detect a leak inside your home:
  • You may smell a gaseous or hydrocarbon odor similar to sulfur or rotten eggs A faint odor of natural gas may mean that a pilot light has gone out on an appliance and should be re-lit or that there is some other leak or problem present. Open doors and windows for ventilation. Don't try to re-light a gas furnace, water heater or range until you are sure there is no natural gas left inside the house.
  • You or someone in the home may experience dizziness, headache, nausea, fatigue or flu-like symptoms. This could be a sign that a natural gas leak or release of carbon monoxide has occurred, which may be the result of an improperly adjusted natural gas appliance inside your home or workplace.
  • If you suspect a natural gas leak, DO NOT use a telephone or flashlight, switch a light on or off, light a match, or create any other ignition source. Leaking natural gas can ignite, so you should immediately leave the house and go to a safe area where there is no indication of a natural gas leak. Call LUS at 762-7161. Make sure you prevent anyone else from entering the home.
If you ever have any question about a natural gas leak call LUS at 762-7161.

[image]